20 Jan

Help for elderly to find smaller houses to rent in UK

Help for elderly to find smaller houses to rent in UK

Elderly tenants struggling to keep up with the cost of a large family home will be offered help to move into smaller properties.

Councils will be given additional funding to help facilitate moving elderly tenants into more suitable houses, housing minister Grant Shapps announced today.

A £13 million fund will be allocated across the UK to boost landlords' efforts to ensure properties are suitable for the tenants.

Measures including a dedicated officer to coordinate moving tenants, a moving service to help with viewing properties and organising packing and handymen to decorate or repair properties have been suggested.

Mr Shapps said: "As children grow up and fly the nest, these tenants can often find themselves trapped in larger family homes that no longer meet their needs.

"That's why I'm giving these residents the chance to start a new life in a new home that better meet[s] their changing needs."

Mr Shapps also announced plans for a dedicated "national action team" based at the Chartered Institute of Housing.

The Department for Communities and Local Government recently announced the allocation of £300,000 to help landlords and tenants evict "neighbours from hell" more quickly.ADNFCR-1222-ID-800354814-ADNFCR

Cookies We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. To find out more about our cookies policy, see our cookies policy here or in the footer.